Peanuts are the poor cousins of the pistachios, walnuts and the hazelnuts. Even though they are called nuts, peanuts are actually legumes. The fruits containing the nuts forces its ways into the soil, and the nuts mature underground as opposed to the other nuts which grow on trees. Peanuts are known by many other local names such as earth nuts, ground nuts, monkey nuts and pygmy nuts.
Peanuts are commercially available in numerous forms -the whole nut, in their pods, as peanut flour, peanut butter, peanut oil and sweets made of peanuts. It is eaten as a light snack and also added in foods for flavoring and the crunch. Peanuts are eaten as theyare, salted, sometimes seasoned with chili powder and sometime boiled. In Bengalaru / Bangalore, the pubs and discs serve a peanut masala along with their drinks. It is one of the most popular snacks that is serve with the drinks. This recipe is a take on that. It is light, refreshing and tasty and will be a hit at your next party..!
PEANUT MASALA – PUB STYLE
- Salted / Roasted Peanuts- 1 1/2 cup
- Onions – 1 medium
- Tomato – 1
- Lemon juice – 1 small lemon
- Salt – as needed
- Red chili powder – a sprinkle (optional)
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- It is always easier to use the packaged commercially available peanuts. In case you are using the regular ones, roast it in a little oil along with some salt. Discard the brown outer layer and keep aside.
- Chop the onions and the tomato finely.
- Chop the coriander leaves finely.
- Combine the peanuts, onion, tomato, salt and lemon juice in a bowl. Add the coriander leaves to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Check seasonings. add salt or lemon juice if needed.
- Put the peanut masala onto a serving plate. Sprinkle some chili powder lightly on it , if you are using it.
- Serve with drinks.