We make a lot of chicken based dishes in the house. This is mainly because we are more of roti eaters rather than rice eaters. This was a very conscious decision takes because of the nutritional and cholesterol issues associated with rice. It was a hard change initially because South Indians thrive on their plate of rice. Rice is the staple food of Kerala. And almost always all three meals of the day are rice based – puttu/dosa for breakfast, rice for lunch and rice for dinner.
This is a a very simple chicken we make on weekdays to go with the pile of rotis on the dinner table. It is quick and not very labor intensive. It is also very tasty and goes well withe the above mentioned rice dishes as well. Hence its is a win win dish all the time.
EASY CHICKEN CURRY
- Chicken – 1 Kg
- Fenugreek – 1/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Star Anise – 1 pc
- Onions – 2
- Green Chili – 4
- Ginger – 1 piece
- Garlic – 6
- Tomato – 1
- Curry Leaf – 2 sprigs
- Red chili powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 Tbs
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp to 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and wash well. Keep aside.
- Take a pan and heat the oil. Add the fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and the star anise and fry slightly.
- Add the sliced onion, curry leaf and the green chili and fry till translucent. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Toss in the ginger and garlic and mix till the raw smell is gone.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till mushy. The oil will appear on the edges of the masala.
- Add the dry masala powders and cook again till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chicken and mix well. Cook on a high flame for 10 minutes. Then reduce the flame and cook covered for 20 minutes or till chicken is cooked through. Add 1/2 cup water if needed.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with roti, rice or dosa.