Chocolate – Vanilla layered cake with a decadent frosting and topped with Jellies, Maltesers and M&M ‘s..!!
I love Birthdays. It is so much fun, full of laughter and wonderful dishes to taste, colorful clothes, gifts and music. No matter what the day before was, the birthday seems so special, as though the day was meant to be, devoid of any tensions and only happiness around. My sis- in-law always wishes me first on my kids birthday. Because she says that this is a special day for the mother too. It is true, a woman is made complete when her little child is born. It is a new phase in her life, the one she will enjoy and cherish the most and keep close to her heart. So remember to wish the mothers for the pain they endured and the love with which they cherished every moment of your existence, the sacrifices they make to make each day special for you and for the dreams the see and nourish for your lives. For it is true
“For the hand that rocks the cradle – Is the hand that rules the world” – William Ross Wallace
I made this cake on the birthday of a dear boy Sanjay. A boy of immense potential and intellect. A boy clear in what he wants and brought up with all the virtues of a good human. A boy who never ceases to amaze me with his thoughts and actions.He had a small party with a group of kids in the age group between 5 and 16. Now making a cake for this varied group was a bit daunting. There were chocolate lovers ad vanilla lovers too. So I decided to make this chocolate and vanilla layered cake. And the topping of goodies took care of the kids, who preferred to pull out all the chocolates and jellies before the cake. The cake is very tasty and it was over in a jiffy. Well, the B’Day boy had fun..!! So did we..!!
CHOCOLATE VANILLA CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
For the Chocolate Frosting
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Icing Sugar – 3 cups
- Cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Hershey’s Chocolate syrup – 3 Tbsp
- Thick Cream – 1/4 cup
- Milk – if needed
- Make the chocolate and vanilla sponge cakes as per the recipe given. Cool the cakes in the refrigerator for a couple of hours after they have come to room temperature.
- Slice the cakes into two horizontally and keep aside.
- Make the soaking syrup and keep aside.
- To make the frosting melt the butter.
- Add the cocoa powder, butter and vanilla essence in a mixer jar.
- Add the icing sugar 1/4 cup at a time and whisk well. Add the chocolate syrup and the cream and beat in.
- Add the milk if needed and beat till glossy.
- Soak the cakes liberally with the soaking syrup.
- Use a little frosting to sandwich the layers together in the order chocolate-vanilla-chocolate-vanilla.
- Toss in a few M&M’s between the layers.
- Frost the sides with the remaining frosting.
- Decorate with lots of jellies, Maltesers and M&M’s.