A simple creme caramel with a passionate twist – Passion fruit Cream caramels..!!
We are all familiar with the simplest and most elegant dessert – cream caramel. Well this recipe is basically a twist on cream caramel. Passion fruit is a very popular ingredient in gourmet cooking. The tangy but sweet taste is unique to the fruit and almost not duplicable.
There are two types of passion fruit, purple passion fruit and yellow passion fruit. They differ in color but taste the same. The purple fruit is about the size of a plum whereas thr yellow fruit is about as large as an orange. Both contain a jelly like pulp inside with hundreds of small black seeds. These fruits can be juiced or made into jams , puddings and custards. In Malayalam this fruit is called Kireeda Poochad Pazham. The source of this recipe is Five-A-Day fruit and Vegetable Cookbook.
PASSION FRUIT CARAMELS
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Water – 5 Tbsp
- Passion fruit – 4
- Eggs – 3 + 1 yolk
- Cream – 2/3 cup ( I used KDD)
- Full fat Milk – 2/3 cup
- Preheat the oven to 150 C.
- Take a medium sized pan. Add the sugar and let it caramelize on a low flame. Care needs to be taken that the sugar does not burn too much as it would give a bitter taste to the finished dessert.
- Caramelizing procedure is very simple. Keep the pan with the sugar on a medium flame. Keep stirring till the sugar melts and there are no lumps. Now the sugar will take aon a golden brown color. It will also start frothing up. When the desired color is reached , add the water to the pan and step back. This is because the caramelized sugar will splutter all over and you do not want to get burned. Bring to a boil and switch off the flame.
- During this time, cut open the fruits and extract he juice. This can be done by placing a sieve on a small container and pouring the pulp onto the sieve. Now press doen hard on the seeds with a spoon till all the juice is extracted.
- Take four ramekins or katoris. Divide the caramelized sugar between the four. Also sprinkle a few passion fruit seeds on the caramel. Keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk and sugar till combined.
- Now add the cream and the milk to the above mix and incorporate well.
- Lastly add the passion fruit juice to the same and give it a good stir.
- Equally divide this mix between the four ramekins. Place them in a large baking dish and add enough water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Place this in the oven and bake 45 to 50 minutes. Chill.
- When you are about to serve, run a toothpick around the inner edge of the ramekin to loosen the pudding. Invert it on to a plate and serve cold.
Well.. what can I say?? It was yummy..For any person like me who loves passion fruit, this is a waaahooo 🙂 ..!!