“An Egg to day is better than a Hen to-morrow.”
The dish on the menu today is the simple Egg Roast. It is very easy to prepare and can be had along with porotta, appam or dosa. Eggs are hugely advertised all over television… the jingle goes… Sunday ho ya Monday… Roz khao Ande...(Eat eggs everyday, be it Sunday or Monday). Due to their protein content theUSDA (United States Department of Agriculture) categorizes eggs as Meats within the Food Guide Pyramid.Eggs are a rich source of protien and fat. More than half the calories found in eggs come from the fat in the yolk. The egg white consists primarily of water (87%) and protein (13%) and contains no cholesterol and little, if any, fat. – Wikipedia
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 2 – 4 persons
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1 1/2 Onions chopped
- 3 Green Chilies split
- 3 Garlic minced
- 1 small piece Ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tsp Tomato ketchup
- 1 Tomato
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 3 Tbsp Coriander leaves
- as needed Salt
- Hard boil the eggs with enough water, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp oil. Once cooked, remove from pan and remove the shell. Adding the oil makes shelling the eggs easier.
- Score the boiled eggs lightly with a knife.
- Mix together 1/2 tsp red chili powder, pepper powder and some salt and marinate the eggs with this mixture. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Take a frying pan and add 1 Tbsp oil in it. Now lightly fry the boiled, marinated eggs on all sides on a medium flame till the eggs are slightly browned. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil and saute the onions till glossy.
- Add the green chilies, ginger and the garlic and cook till a nice smell comes out of it.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook till the mixture is slightly mushed up.
- Now add the remaining masala powders to the pan and combine.Add the tomato ketchup and mix well.
- Add the fried eggs to this mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove to a serving dish, garnish with the chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.