My daughter loves apple pie – to be more specific the Mc Donald Apple Pies..!!
Well, am sure everyone loves apple pies. But my daughter has this story with the apple pies from Mc D. She was never one for apples especially tart, green luscious apples. I had quite a time cajoling her and bribing her to eat that one piece of apple. But no one could convince that chubby pink girl. her nose would turn up at the sight of the plate, her eyes filled with disdain and the mouth would form the perfect “NO”. Mc D changed all that. She was addicted to the cinnamon and apple flavor. Every time we went to Mc D she would end up ordering this pie. So trying to make it at home was just inevitable. This recipe is easy to work with and tasty, quite a hit with my little one.
FRIED APPLE PIE
Source here & here
For the Dough
- 2 cup sifted flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (if using salted butter, reduce salt above)
- 6 Tbsp ice water
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
For the Filling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 Tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Lets make the dough first. Keep all ingredients ready
- Sift flour with salt into mixing bowl.
- Work in the butter till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add enough ice water to make a stiff dough.
- Work with half of the dough at a time. Roll out into a large thin rectangle, approx. ¼ inch thickness or less.
- Now cut squares of pastry approximately 4 inches on each side. Set aside while preparing filling.
- To prepare the filling peel, core and chop the apples into small pieces.
- In a saucepan heat the butter and add apples, sugar and lemon juice to it.
- Cook over medium heat until the apples are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling on one half of the pastry square.
- Brush the edges of the square with water.
- Fold the other half over the filling and seal the edges with a fork. Keep aside.Repeat with the other squares.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan until it reaches 360 degrees F on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Fry the until golden brown.
- Let drain on a paper towel for 30 seconds then toss with the cinnamon sugar.
Is this not a lovely recipe to make with your little ones? They will love to lick that amazing filling right off the bowl.