A dry fry pepper chicken dish made from the least number of ingredients but with an explosive taste equivalent of a restaurant..!!
Pepper chicken is one dish that I have seen numerous variations too. It can be made in many ways, right from the Andhra pepper chicken to the Kuttanadan pepper chicken. Many dishes with the same name and varying tastes. And every single one a masterpiece in itself.
However this pepper chicken is my favorite. I have had this dish a zillion times during my childhood. For a girl who loved any form of “Chicken leg fry” this was the “best-est”….!! My Latha aunty, whom I most fondly and respectfully call Latha Mummy used to make this for me. She used to have a large roasting pan full of these chicken pieces and we use to happily dig in. I used to be that child who took over an hour to complete lunch… maybe two..!! But I did not mind, as long as PEPPER CHICKEN was the dish of the day…!!
PEPPERY PEPPER CHICKEN
- Chicken pieces – 1 Kg
- Corianderpowder – 2Dsp
- Gingergarlic paste – 4 Tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 Tsp
- Curd – 2 Dsp
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Crushed Peppercorns – 1 Dsp or more depending on spice level
- Soy sauce- 1 Dsp
Note : 1 dessert spoon = 2 Tsp = 10 ml
- Clean the chicken pieces and drain the water.
- Marinate the chicken with coriander powder, curd, ginger garlic paste, pepper powder and salt. Refrigerate for 5 hours or till needed.
- Take a pan and add the chicken pieces to it on a medium flame. Add 1/4 cup water and cook the chicken, covered, for about 1/2 hour or till cooked. The water would have evaporated and the chicken will be well coated in the gravy. It should not burn..!!
- Take another larger pan and add the oil to it.
- When the oil is hot , add the crushed peppercorns and fry 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce and watch it sizzle up.
- Add the cooked chicken pieces and fry turning occasionally, till well coated.
- Serve hot.
Like I said… this is one awesome dish ..!! We loved it with fried rice… Go on… Try it and find your combo..!!