Summer has sent in .. the burning scorching heat rays sending those rivers of sweat down our spines. The burning grinning sun watching as our energy is drained and we dunk in bottles of ice cold water. And suddenly in answer to our troubles the sky gets cast with dark rain clouds, an umbrella to the deadly heat. But the respite is momentary. The clouds soon flit away. Sometimes it pretends to rain, sometimes it drizzles, sometimes it just burns. This uncertainty of hot and cold ultimately leaves us tired and exhausted. And as always I wish that the weather gods would just decide and let us settle into one climate rather than fluctuating between all..
.However , say what I may, its quite fun too. The newly opened snow gola shop in our neighborhood, the vendors selling watermelon juice by the roadside and the piles of tender coconuts on sale for the thirsty nomad… oh, its a sure realization that summer is here..!! The numerous people on bikes stop by these sellers, pull out their helmets, wipe their brows and eagerly ask for a drink. They raise their heads and pour the chilled drink down their throats , as the sweat trickles down their necks in defeat. And they place their glasses down with a shake of their head and a fresh burst of energy. Oh. summer is here alright..!! The shoes have been abandoned in favor of sneakers and the pants exchanged for shorts and shops sell sleeveless pink barbie clothes for the girls. The boys with their hair trimmed and dressed in sporty tees run in the open grounds playing football or cricket, returning filthy with mud. Ask them and they say, with toothless grins and brown faces …Mom, Daag Ache Hain (mud stains are good -surf excel). And yes… summer is here..! There is no point having a bath because you sweat the very next moment. Three a baths a day become mandatory. Clothes with holes are also welcome as they have the air conditioner effect and the lovely silk and polyester sarees give way to cotton sarees paired with the latest fashion in blouses. And yes did I tell you… Summer is here..!
Ploughing my way through one such summer in Kerala, I have been wanting to make a dessert that would cool me down. And the perfect answer was the tender coconut pudding. I have been wanting to make this dessert for a very long time. Back in Bahrain these beauties were hard to come by. Tender coconuts were available in cans or were absolutely ancient looks after all the travel they went through. Seeing the lovely green beauties piled on the roadside and sipping the sweet fresh water through the colored straws, scraping the delicate meat off the shells and slurping it down was a trip back to memory land. And returning home armed with a few karikku was inevitable. And cooling off with some pudding was wonderful. Aha… Summer is here..!!
TENDER COCONUT PUDDING
- Water and meat of 3 tender coconuts (meat has to be transluscent and thin)
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 2 tins fresh milk
- 1/3 cup sugar – more or less to taste
- 10 gm China Grass
- Praline or fresh fruit for garnish
- Combine the tender coconut meat along with 1 cups of coconut water and grind it to a smooth paste.
- In a saucepan bring the milk, sugar and the condensed milk to a small boil. Cool slightly.
- Soak the china grass with the remaining 1 cup water and heat slightly til the china grass has melted down. Do not boil.
- Combine the milk mixture along with the pureed tender coconut meat. Strain in the melted china grass to the mixture and combine well.
- Pour into the prepared mould or glasses and refrigerate till set.
- This is quite a sweet pudding. In order to cut the sweetness I serve this pudding with a sprinkle of praline on top or with some fresh cut fruits.
- Even a tart jelly layer on top would be a fun treat.
- This is meant for people who love the flavor of coconuts, as the tender coconut flavor is strong and packs a punch.
I know… I have not been posting. I have been plain lazy.! A hot summer day, sweaty sleepy self, a recliner sofa under the fan and balcony open to welcome air… I have been lazy. I am not to blame 🙂 SUMMER IS HERE..!