A delicious creamy pudding base crowned with tropical fruits dressed in a beautiful jelly topping – Fruit Jelly Pudding.
I buy too many things..!! Nothing fancy and nothing chunky… I buy too much foodstuff. I end up buying ingredients for dishes I hope to prepare , but I do not prepare because there was something else I wanted to prepare but for which I did not have ingredients , so I had to go out to buy it all again. PERIOD.!!
There has been this can of condensed milk that has been coming in my way for a month now. I forgot what I originally wanted to prepare. But since I kept bumping into Mr Nestle way too often for my liking, I decided to put him to good use. I prepare this custard I have had a long time back, but the beauty and simplicity stayed in my memory. This is again a very simple dessert to prepare, especially if you have left over fruits in the house. So go on try it..!!
FRUIT JELLY PUDDING
- Whole milk – 1 liter
- Condensed milk – 1 can
- Sugar – 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Gelatin – 3 Tbsp ( For vegetarians substitute with 10 gramme China grass)
- Hot water – 1/4 cup
- Assorted fruits – Mango/ Pineapple/ Apple – 2 cups
- Jelly – Flavor of your choice – 1 packet
- Take a heavy bottomed pan. Bring the milk and sugar to a boil. Do not burn.
- During this time soak the gelatin in hot water. Stir till it is completely dissolved.If necessary heat the mix in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir well to combine. If using China grass, soak it in hot water for 10 minutes. Then heat the China grass and water on a low flame till melted and it looks like water.
- When the milk has come to a boil, switch off the flame and add the condensed milk. Return to the stove and bring to boil again, stirring carefully so as not to burn the bottom.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla essence followed by the gelatin / china grass. Make sure it is well combined.
- Pour into the utensil you are using for your pudding and refrigerate till set. It is preferable to use a wide flat dish rather than a curved deep bottom dish.
- Once the pudding has set, layer the chopped fruits on top of the base. Cover the entire base with fruits in a good thick layer.
- Prepare the jelly according to the instructions on the packet. Pour it over the layered fruits. Refrigerate till set.
- Serve cold.
- These can be done in individual bowls for added aesthetic sense and easier serving.
Now, was that not a treat… especially for the kiddos? Irene and Ryan loved it….!!!