Succulent prawns cooked with green mango, cooked with coconut in a tangy , beautifully delicious gravy..!
I am happy. The prawn season is almost at a close here and I have been lucky to get some. Irene and myself are the prawn lovers in the family. Fried or gravy or grilled – the plate gets wiped clean in no time. This bag of shelled and cleaned prawns have been a welcome sight. And like my son used to say .. ” I love it 1, I love it 2, I love it 3 and I love it 5…!!”
This post goes out to a dear friend Princy, the lady who made this dish happen. She got me the prawns..!! And because of her I have been able to satisfy a deep craving for the perfect prawn dish – prawns paired with mango.. a little sour, a little spicy. Enjoy the meal.
CHEMEEN MANGA CURRY – PRAWNS AND GREEN MANGO IN COCONUT GRAVY
- Fresh Prawns – 250 g
- Raw Green Mango – 1
- Drum sticks – 2 (optional)
- Turmeric -1/2 tsp
- Chili powder – 1/4 tsp
- Green Chili – 4
- Coconut – 1/3 cup
- Green Chili – 1 small
- Pearl Onions – 5
- Garlic -1 clove
- Ginger – small piece
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Dried red chili – 2, each broken into half
- Curry leaf – a sprig
- Shell and clean the prawns. Keep aside.
- Slice the raw green mangoes into medium sized pieces.
- If you are using the drumsticks, remove the skin and cut them into pieces about 3 cm in length.
- In a deep pan, take the prawns, mango slices, drumsticks, 1/4 tsp of turmeric, chili powder salt and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and cook covered till the prawns, mango slices and drumsticks are cooked.
- During this time, grind to a paste the coconut, chili, cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp turmeric, pearl onions, garlic and ginger.
- Add the paste to the cooked prawn mix. Add a 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water depending on the consistency you want the gravy to be. Bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes and take off the flame.
- Take 2 Tbsp oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add the dried chili and brown it slightly. Now add the curry leaf, toss it a bit and turn off the flame.
- Add this mix, also called the tadka to the prawn curry.
- Serve hot.
This has been my favorite prawn gravy dish from as long as I can remember. My mom makes this quite well. Please feel free to experiment with the dish. Am sure the outcome will be just as delicious.