The sun is beating down on us in Kannur. The sweat pours down our faces as we toss and turn in the beds, hoping for some cool breeze through the open windows. The air conditioners are working overtime, yet the thirst and the heat are unbearable.
It is during summer that lemons are over priced and over desired. They sell at Rs 5 a piece. But that does not stop us from buying that wonder heat buster fruit. Now, having lemons priced so outrageously and in short supply due to the increased demand, I decided to bottle them as best as I could. My family has always enjoyed a good sweet lime soda. The decision was made and I made the best lemon drink from those 10 lemons I had. The drink disappeared quite faster than I thought and thus began a ritual of having a bottle of squash ready in the fridge at all times.
SWEET LIME SODA
- Plain Soda – 1 bottle
for the squash
- Lemon – 8 to 10
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – a fat pinch
- The first step is to make the lemon syrup.
- Take a deep pan. Add the sugar and water to the pan and bring it to a rolling boil. Boil 5 minutes.
- During this time, juice the lemons and keep aside.
- To the sugar syrup, add the salt and lemon juice, give a quick stir and take off the stove.
- Cool and store in bottles in the fridge.
- To make the sweet lime syrup , take one portion about 1/4 glass of lemon syrup.
- Tilt the glass sideways and carefully top the glass with soda. Give one quick stir with a spoon and serve cold.
- Store the remaining soda and syrup. Use whenever you feel beaten by the heat.