A swish of this and a dash of that, all come together in a flash, and oh whats served is nothing fancy, just a homely yummy chicken curry..!
The past month has been a mad mad month, an unplanned trip to India and a zillion things to do otherwise. The heat was intolerable and there was that forever feeling of being drained and tired. It is on such days where we are too tired to do anything, but also need a quick curry for lunch, that this fuss free recipe helps. This is a simple chicken curry, made with all the basic ingredients, and one which can be made by anyone, even a “pressed for time” bachelor. It does not involve any grinding or pulsing, fancy ingredients or sauces. It makes a great side for rice, roti, noolappam and even puttu.
SIMPLE CHICKEN CURRY
- Chicken – 1.1 Kg
- Onion – 2
- Green Chili – 5 to 6
- Ginger – 1 Large
- Garlic – 6
- Tomato – 1
- Curry leaf – 2 sprigs
- Red Chili Powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 4 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Wash and clean the chicken well. Cut into small pieces. Keep aside.
- In a large pan, heat some oil. Add the sliced onions to the oil and fry till translucent.
- Toss in the sliced green chilies and the curry leaf in the pan. Give a good stir and cook 5 minutes till onions are lightly browned.
- Now add the chopped ginger and garlic. Cook till the raw smell is gone.
- To the above mix, add the chopped tomato and cook till everything is combined and oil is seen at the edges.
- Now is the time to add the masala. Add all the dry ingredients and mix well for 5 minutes till the raw smell is gone. You can add a tablespoon of water to keep it from burning.
- Add the chicken and mix well on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add a cup of water, reduce the flame and cook covered for 20 minutes or till the chicken is well cooked and the gravy is a dark brown color.
- Take of heat, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.