The real act of marriage takes place in the heart. It’s a choice you make — not just on your wedding day, but over and over again – Barbara de Angelis
Today is a special day for Ponni and Bobby. It is their first anniversary and pretty much an amazing one as they were celebrating it with a road trip all the way to Puducherry. And what could be a better place with the pristine beaches and the amazing Auroville.
Auroville, which means the city of dawn, is a township located in Villipuram district of Tamil Nadu, close to Pondicherry on the Coromandel Coast of southern India.. This town is a project of Sri Aurobindo Society and here people live together in harmony irrespective of caste, creed or nationality. The main aim of Auroville is to realize human unity irrespective of any diversity.
The Matrimandir is the soul of the Auroville and is situated in an open space called Peace. It is in the form of a huge sphere surrounded by twelve pedestals. It took almost 37 years to buid the Matrimandir . The central dome is covered by golden discs and reflects sunlight making it very radiant. Inside the matrimandir is a meditation hall known as the inner chamber which contains the largest optically-perfect glass globe in the world.
So, this cake goes out to our dearest cousin Ponni and her husband Bobby on their first anniversary. And here is wishing you both many more happy Kodak moments in the years to come. 🙂
FRESH FRUIT AND CREAM CAKE
- Milk – 1 cup
- Unsalted Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Cake flour – 2 cups
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Eggs – 4
- Powdered sugar – 1 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
- Whipping Cream – 500 ml
- Fruit cocktail in natural juices – 1 tin
- Fresh Fruits like Strawberry, Peaches, mangoes, Kiwis – sliced thinly
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Butter two pans and line them with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan heat the milk and the butter and keep it aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder and salt. Sift it together a couple of time and keep aside.
- Using your beaters on medium high, beat the eggs for about 3 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar to the beaten eggs, one tablespoon at a time, and beat well. Scrape the sides occasionally and beat till the mixture becomes pale and yellow.
- Now reduce the speed to medium and beat in the vanilla essence.
- Now keep the beaters running and pour in the milk butter combo in a steady stream, taking about 10 seconds to do so.
- Immediately add the dry ingredients and beat till combined.
- Remove the batter from the mixer and divide the mixture between the two prepared pans.
- bake 30minute to 35 minutes till golden brown and springy to touch.
- Cool on the rack for about an hour.
- Always take care that the cake has to be completely cool before icing it.
- Whip the whipping cream with a little sugar. The amount of sugar depends on the sweetness you desire.
- Strain the fruit from the fruit cocktail tin and reserve the juices. Add about a 1/4 cup water to the juice and use this as a soaking agent.
- Place one of the cakes on the cake stand.
- Soak it liberally with half the juices . Spread enough cream on top and spread it around.Put the reserved fruits on top.
- Place the second cake on top of he first one. Soak it with the remaining juices. Frost it on all sides with the whipped cream on all sides of the cake.
- Arrange the slices of fresh fruits decoratively on top.
- Spread the chocolate sprinkles on the side. This can be done by taking a little sprinkles on the tip of the spatula and pressing it lightly on the sides.
- Do this till the sides of cake is covered.
- Refrigerate till needed.