It was my sisters birthday on the 22nd of April. Fortunately or unfortunately, I have both Ammu’s and Irene’s birthday falling within a gap of one week. Considering the fact that we are celebrating Irene’s birthday in style at Mc D, I have been busy the entire week, shopping for clothes, ordering cakes, decorations, buying the gifts for the party packs and also wrapping them. I had hence been unable to post a sweet something for my little sis. I know for a fact that she has been watching this little space of mine to see what I cooked up for her. But I am sorry Ammu, I did cook it up but never got around to posting. Having a miniature version of you ruling the house here (Irene) keeps me on my toes the whole day..!!!
I had a fun incident yesterday. Those of you who read my blog know that my kids – Irene and Ryan, are a fun lot. They are quite innocent and very naughty. Irene has always wanted to celebrate her birthday. Now that she got the chance to do so, she invited most of the kids in Grade 2 for the party. Since we had made a list and we had already invited the kids on the list, I kept the remaining blank invites in the cupboard, only to find them missing the next day. My darling daughter took the invites to school, and on seeing any child sad or wanting to come to the party, whether she was friends with them or not, immediately signed her card with a flourish, asked them their name and wrote it on the envelope and invited them over for “the party”..!! So as of today I am quite clueless about who is coming and who is not..!! I hope I have enough gifts for all of them..!!
My sister Ammu is quite the same. She lives for those people who love her. She is very loyal, though she forgets my birthday at least twice in 5 years. She would spend hours looking for that right gift and days listening to others woes and worries, offering basket loads of advices. When she is upset or in distress, she will spend hours listening to my motherly advice, quite the attentive listener, she gives a little toss of her pony tail, eyes brimming with tears and sporting a pink nose, she goes ahead and does exactly as she pleases without a second thought..!! She has lot of energy, enough to teach you the art of sleeping with your eyes open when she chatters endlessly. She is very beautiful. She is the type of vibrant person whom adults and youngsters love. She is the kind of personality whom people notice in a crowd. She has been very close to my heart always. We might not talk daily or regularly, but the bond remains always. Even though I am a bit late ” HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIS..!! ”
VANILLA CUPCAKES WITH NUTELLA FROSTING
- All purpose flour – 1 1/2 cup
- Baking powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 100 gm
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Eggs – 3
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Muffin pan – 12 holes
- Paper liners for the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 C. Line your muffin pan with the paper liners and keep them ready.
- Sift the dry ingredients together thrice and keep aside.
- Using you electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together, till they are light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat well.
- Tip in the sifted dry ingredients and the milk, alternating between the two. Begin and end with the dry flour ie Flour — milk —Flour —milk —Flour
- Now fill the muffin pan with the batter and bake 17 to 20 minutes till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not over bake as that would dry out the cupcakes.
- Remove and leave on the wire rack to cool before you frost the cakes.
- If you want flat topped cupcakes then slice off the dome of each cupcake, with a sharp knife, before frosting. If you like them plain, go ahead and take a bite.
- Butter softened – 2 Tbsp
- Icing sugar – 1 1/3 cup
- Nutella – 3 Tbsp heaped
- Milk – as needed
- Sift the icing sugar before use.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and the icing sugar. Add milk, a teaspoon at a time and beat well after each addition to get that creamy texture.
- Add the Nutella and beat well till the icing is nice and glossy.
- Frost the cakes..!