Badam Milk / Doodh is very popular milk based energy drink served in India.
Badam is the Indian terminology for Almonds. Badam milk is an energy giving drink as well as a relaxing drink. Pregnant women are given badam milk because of its increased nutritional value. This drink can be served both hot and cold. It is sold in the streets as badam milk or badam shake. We also get ready made badam milk powders in the market. However it tastes best when made fresh. Badam milk is also said to increase the concentration and memory power of the person who drinks it. This is a must drink for the children and gives best results if had twice a day. Badam milk is indeed the natural wonder drink for children
BADAM MILK / BADAM DOODH
- Badam / Almonds -25
- Pistachios – 1/4 cup (optional)
- Milk – 500 ml + 500 ml
- Cardamom powder – a fat pinch
- Saffron – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – as needed
- Take the badam /almonds in a small pan. Pour boiling water on it and let stand for sometime. Alternately you can boil the almonds in water for sometime. Now remove the skin and put it in a blender.
- Add about 1 cup milk to the blender and grind it to a smooth paste . You can also add pistachios if you like it.
- Add the ground badam paste to the remaining milk and bring it to a boil.
- Add sugar as needed. Lower the flame and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a small pan, gently roast the saffron. Take it off the flame and powder it. Add this to the milk.
- Toss in the cardamom powder to the milk and bring it to a boil. The milk will be a nice yellow color.
- Remove from heat. It will be slightly thick now. Add some cold milk to adjust consistency.
- Serve garnished with crushed almonds or pistachios.
- This drink can be served hot but is best when had chilled.