Beef is the culinary name for meat from bovines, especially domestic cattle. Beef can be harvested from cows, bulls, heifers or steers. It is one of the principal meats used in the cuisine of the Middle East, Pakistan, Australia, Argentina, Europe and the United States, and is also important in Africa, parts of East Asia, and Southeast Asia. Beef is considered a taboo food in some cultures, especially in Indian culture, and thence is eschewed by Hindus and Jains; it is also discouraged among some Buddhists. – Wikipedia.
However amongst Syrian Catholics, the beef is considered a delicacy. You will find a beef based side dish at the lunch table at least thrice a week. We have beef stew, nadan beef curry, beef fry, beef ularthiyathu so on and so forth. today I have prepared for you a simple beef fry, a dish that uses minimum ingredients and very less time to prepare. If you have a pressure cooker and a frying pan, this dish is done in 30 minutes flat. This is also a bachelors beef fry – almost like Gusteau would say “Anyone can Cook”..!!
- Beef – 500 gm
- Kashmiri Chili Powder – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – about 4 Tbsp
- Onions chopped – 2
- Ginger chopped – 1 inch
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Cut the beef into small bite size pieces. Wash and clean it well.
- Combine the beef, salt and red chili powder in the pressure cooker and cook for about 4 whistles till cooked. Do not add water as the beef contains enough water to cook the beef in.
- Once the cooker has cooled down, open it and cook on a medium flame till all the water has evaporated and the beef is nicely coated in the gravy.
- Take 3 Tbsp oil in your frying pan. Toss in the cooked beef pieces and fry them on a low – medium flame till it is a dark brown color. Normally the beef is fried in about a cup of oil. But I feel minimal oil is best for health and I hate food dripping in oil.
- Remove the beef to a plate. In the same pan add 1 Tbsp oil and fry the onions, ginger and curry leaves. Saute till the onions are a light brown and the raw smell is gone.
- Toss in the cooked beef and fry everything together for about 6 minutes till the flavors combine.
- Add the coriander leaves and mix in.
- Serve hot.