Black Magic Cake – A moist and deliciously chocolaty sheet cake with a simple ganache on top – perfect for a picnic or a quick chocolate craving fix..!
Life always comes a full circle. If not today, tomorrow, all your wishes will be fulfilled. It is a matter of working towards it, slow and steady. … I know that sounds quite philosophical,but that is what I learnt in the last few months. I have been a home maker for the last 10 years, a dutiful wife and a concerned, caring mother. Having gotten married when in college, I never worked a proper 9 to 5 job. Maybe that was the reason that a timed job and a working atmosphere always held a mysterious appeal for me. I envied those who worked even if they came home dead tired and broken down by office politics. And to me the funny thing was that they envied me and my blogging,, my free time and the countless hours of sleep I got.
Maybe it was the longing or the preparation, I have finally started working. I teach a mixed group of 6th graders and it is a very nice feeling. Yes, I have not been able to work on my blog as much as I could earlier, nor can I get my precious beauty sleep. I have to compromise on my telly serials and cookery shows and also carry school work home. But the happy looks on my kids faces, the Happy Mothers Day cards and Friendship bands from the students all kind of makes up for it. After all, it is a new step, a change to life, but one that has suited us well. And the best part is the feeling of making a difference, however small it may be, to the life of another.
Today I have for you a very simple and delicious recipe. This recipe was first discovered in the recipes of Hershey. It was later lost and then rediscovered under a new name – Black Magic Cake. Yes, it is truly black magic…. how can a simple cake be so delicious? It is such a breeze to prepare with no fancy ingredients, yet how could it be so delicious. Surely there has to be a magic spell in there somewhere, that makes it so tasty and in demand. Try it and see for yourself..!
BLACK MAGIC CAKE
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup good quality Cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee + 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a one 13×9×2-inch baking pan.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from the pan to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Frost as desired. I made a simple chocolate ganache and frosted the cake with it. If you have a favorite recipe, go for it…!
- PS – To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips – 1 cup
- Fresh cream – 3/4 cup
- Heat the cream in a microwave for about 90 seconds. The cream will be really hot.
- Add the semisweet chocolate chips and mix till combined.
Now, that was not so difficult was it?? I apologize for the not so great photographs. I was trying to keep that last piece of cake from going into my son’s tummy. Still he managed to pick out pieces from the sides. What else can I say about the cake? Yummy ..!!