A chicken dry dish accentuated with pepper and whole spices – Chicken Pepper Fry..!!
Being a new blogger in the Blogosphere, my knowledge about this new world is still in its infancy. The hours I spend in front of my laptop discovering each door that leads off the dashboard are most intriguing.
It is on one such day, when I was wandering aimlessly on the net, that I stumbled on Shabitha . She has a very beautiful blog with precise instructions and drool worthy pics. It was hence no surprise when I had her chicken cooking on my stove top. I have made a few changes to suit our palate. But hey… it was one HAPPY MEAL..!!
CHICKEN PEPPER FRY
- Chicken – 500gm
- Pearl onion – 1/2 cup or 1 big onion
- Garlic Cloves – 4
- Tomato – 2
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 7 no
- Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
For Spice Powder
- Whole pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 3 no
- Cinnamon – 2 pieces
- Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom – 2 no
- Dry roast the whole pepper corns, cumin seeds and cardamom on a medium flame till aromatic (approx 5 minutes). Cool and grind it to coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the cinnamon, fennel seeds and cardamom on a medium flame.
- Add the onions, garlic and the curry leaves and saute well.
- Add the red chillies, finely chopped tomatoes and salt. Saute well till the oil separates and clears at the edges.
- Now add the chicken and the garam masala and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spice powder to the chicken and combine till well coated.
- Add a 1/4 cup water to the chicken so that it does not stick to the bottom and the chicken cooks well.
- Once the chicken is well cooked, remove the lid and cook on a high flame till the gravy dries up and the chicken is well coated.
- Garnish with remaining curry leaves and serve hot.