Flame grilled coconut, heat of fiery Red Chilies and the tang of good tamarind are ground together to make this chammanthi..!!
South Indian take pride in their condiments be it the chammanthi podi, the chammanthi or the achars. They are a staple in most houses. I love to have a ground chammanthi as a side with choru no matter what other curries are there. The experience of mixing some well flavored chammanthi into hot rice and taking the first bite of it is just amazing. Well, this chammanthi has a unique taste and is quite different from the others as it is that coconut that is roasted here. You may have tasted a manga chammanthi, a nellika chammanthi or a simple thenga chammanthi, but this is one more you have to taste..!!
CHUTTA THENGA CHAMMANTHI / GRILLED COCONUT CHAMMANTHI
- Coconut pieces (not grated) – 1/2 a coconut
- Fiery Red Chilies – 4 to 5
- Tamarind – lemon sized
- Small onions / Shallots – 5
- Break the coconut into medium pieces. Pierce it with a skewer and place it on an open flame . Grill it well so that is is browned or charred all over, like you would with a brinjal for baingan bharta.
- Put these grilled coconut pieces in a small bowl of water and wash away the outer charred , black skin of the coconut. Place in your grinder bowl.
- Similarly, hold the stems of the red chilies and show it on an open flame so that they are roasted. Add to the grinder.
- Grind the ingredients till half done. now add the remaining ingredients and grind again till all are well mixed.
- Check seasonings. Scoop into small balls and serve with steaming hot rice.