A very easy to prepare homemade Coffee Liqueur- a spot on take on Coffee Liqueurs.!!
Liqueurs are high alcohol, high sugar drinks which are often flavored with herbs, nuts , coffee chocolate etc. Well, I had often come across liqueurs in numerous recipes, and they always left me wondering as to how I could get mt hands on it. Well, sadly it was not to be. A coffee liqueur is quite unheard of in India. I always imagined what it would be like to have that special “kick” in the cake, or a slice of that yummy tiramisu or a slice of blue cheese. But these were all part of the ” want to’s” and also the “have nots”.
After much waiting I got a chance to have a sip of this legendary after dinner drink at an uncles place on my visit to Muscat, Oman. I was disappointed. The drink was as tasty as I imagined, but it was heavy and slimy on the tongue. On my return home to Bahrain, I knew I could make it at home. After much searching I found a recipe which I toned to suit my taste.
- Fresh ground coffee – 3/4 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Vanilla Pod -1 split or Vanilla essence -1 Tsp
- Vodka – 3 cups
- In a clean saucepan, bring the water, coffee and sugar to a boil.
- Reduce the flame and let boil for 10 minutes stirring well till the flavor is nicely obtained and the house smells like Starbucks.
- Switch off the flame and leave to cool on the counter.
- Have a large glass jar / bharni ready.
- Once cooled, add the coffee mixture, vanilla pod and the vodka into the jar and give it a stir. Keep covered in a dark place for 21 days. Take care to give the contents a twirl once everyday for the 21 days. this time period is essenial for the alcohol and the coffee mixture to blend together. Else we would have seperate layers of coffee mix and alcohol floating about and it is indeed quite unpleasant to drink.
- On the 22nd day strain the coffee liqueur. Discard the coffee grounds and the vanilla bean. Pour the liqueur into a clean bottle and use as desired.
- This is not a very thick liqueur. I use it quite liberally as a soaking liquid (mixed with water) for my cakes, as an after dinner drink, in my coffee and to anything that needs that extra zang..!! You can keep it for 2 months.
I made this for our Christmas party. It was hugely appreciated and enjoyed. Do you like it?? Try it and tell me..