A chocolate sponge cake with cream cheese filling, chocolate ganache and Hersheys frosting to top a very addictive chocolate explosion.
Chocolate is the most divine invention by the Gods. It is a child’s fantasy, the lovers dream and even hailed as a wonder food.. one that will make you young and beautiful. It makes you want to take another bite of happiness, lick the wrapper clean and pounce on the last piece of chocolate in the box unconcerned about anything else. Chocolates combined with nuts and fruits does not make life any easier. In my house, no matter where I hide the box of chocolates, my kids sniff it out.. and it gets over in minutes. I guess that is the magic of CHOCOLATE..!! And so, my post for the day is also a Chocolate Cake..!!
This post goes out to my darling sister. She is completing her architecture studies and is far from home, away in the hostel.. and I know she is craving some cake right now..!! I am sending her this virtual cake and since she is an absolute chocolate girl, am sure she will love it.
CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE GANACHE
FOR THE CAKE
(Source : Vanitha)
- All purpose flour – 1 1/2 cup
- Cocoa powder – 1/2 cup
- Powdered sugar – 1 1/4 cup
- Baking Soda – 1 1/2 tsp
- Hot milk – 1 cup
- Vinegar – 1Tbsp
- Butter – 180 gm
- Egg – 2
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Grease two pans with butter and line them with parchment paper. It is always best to line with parchment paper as it would prevent the cake from sticking to the base.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, powdered sugar and baking powder together three times so that it is well combined. Keep aside.
- Add the vinegar to the milk and microwave 30 seconds. Keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter till light.
- Add the eggs to the butter and combine till light and yellow.
- To the above mix add the dry sifted ingredients and the milk alternating between the two. That is add 1/3 of flour – !/2 milk – 1/3 flour – 1/2 milk and end with 1/3 flour.
- Add vanilla essence and combine well.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, checking after 30 minutes. Check by inserting the skewer in the centre and if it is clean – the cake is done.
- Leave to cool.
- When cool, slice the cakes across making 4 layers or if you want 2 layers, keep it the way it is.
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- Cream cheese – 1/4 cup
- fresh cream – 1/4 cup
- Homemade coffeeliqueur – a splash
- Icing sugar – enough to sweeten
- Combine all the ingredients together and keep in refrigerator.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips – 1 cup
- Fresh cream – 1 cup
- Heat the cream in a microwave for about 90 seconds. The cream will be really hot.
- Add the semisweet chocolate chips and mix till combined.
HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- Softened butter- 1/2 cup
- Icing Sugar – 2 1/2 cup
- Cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1tsp
- Milk – as needed
- Sift the icing sugar and keep aside.
- In a large pan, combine the butter and cocoa. Add the icing sugar little by little and beat till well combined.
- Add a little milk and keep beating till it all comes together. Add milk depending on the consistency of the icing you need. Beat all together till nice and creamyYou can store this in the refrigerator. When you need to use it beat well to make it creamy and use.
- Place one layer of cake on the cake board.
- Spread the cream filling across the cake. Top with the second layer of cake. Again add the filling and spread it around. Top with the third slice of cake. Repeat filling and Place the fourth layer on top.
- Pour the prepared ganache on top of the cake and frost the top and sides of the cake using a spatula. Spread evenly. Refrigerate half hour till the frosting sets.
- Now you can use the Hershey frosting to top or decorate the cake. I tried to make a basket weave on the top. It is my first attempt and I am proud of it.
- You can also skip the ganache and just frost the cake with this icing. Or skip this all together and decorate with with nuts or chocolate shavings.
- Use your imagination.
- Cut and EAT..!!