Greek Salad is the most popular summer salad from Greece. It is tasty, it is light and it is healthy.
OOPS..!! Am in a fix today. I ran out of cooking gas..!! Being a weekend, running out of cooking gas is the saddest thing ever. This is because during weekends my house is taken over by an army of ever hungry people. All they think about is “what do I eat next?”. Demands are plenty and cravings are immense. Normally I end up cooking up a storm in the kitchen, but today I am laid back, relaxing, with the poor neighbor hood eat outs and their delivery service doing all the work. All I did was whip up a simple no cook salad, yes, the Greek Salad.
The traditional greek salad does not use fancy ingredients in their dressing. They make use of good quality olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper in their dressing. Over the years this salad has seen great variations.Now anything from pickled leaves, capers, vinegar, lemon juice, dried basil, red wine vinegar and chopped parsley are used. The vegetables commonly used are cucumbers, vine tomatoes, red onions or spring onions, romaine lettuce, kalamata olives, green peppers and feta cheese. All said and done this is a light satisfying summer salad which can be served with some thick slices of crusty bread.
- Tomatoes – 3
- Cucumber – 2
- Red Onion – 1 small
- Green Pepper – 1 small
- Carrot – 1 (optional)
- Kalamata Black Olives – 1/2 cup pitted
- Feta Cheese – 200 gm
- Red Wine Vinegar – 2 Tbsp (use lemon juice as substitute)
- Olive Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Dried Oregano – 1 tsp
- Salt as required
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Chop all the vegetables except olives into your desired size or shape.
- Sprinkle a little salt on it and leave it to sweat for about 20 minutes.
- During this time combine the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, pepper and more salt if needed and mix well till emulsified.
- Add the dressing to the chopped vegetables and mix well. Keep the salad aside for sometime so that the vegetables are well marinated. You can store this in the fridge. However make sure that you keep it outside for half an hour before serving. Fridge cold salad is not great on taste.
- Slice the feta cheese into cubes and toss it in with the salad before serving.
- Mix in the sliced olives at this point.
- Crumble some of the cheese and sprinkle it over the salad and serve with thick crusty pieces of bread.
NOTE : I have used carrots here to make the meal more healthy. I also ran out of olives, hence it is not there in the picture. But make sure you add it as it gives immense flavor to the dish.