A tender chicken drumstick marinated in spices and deep fried to perfection – worth every bite..!!
I have not posted in a long while. Having relatives around the house, busy with entertaining and a country strife with unrest is not the best combination to have. It is a indeed a worrying situation but somehow I find that a hot stove, warm kitchen and loads of flour, butter and sugar helps me keep from getting hyper tensed.
Today I am posting a chicken fry that made my life easy in the last week. Easy as in I toss a couple of packets of chicken legs in the marinade and freeze them in packets each packet equivalent to the portion size for the day. I keep one packet in the fridge overnight to thaw and fry it the next day. It makes a tasty side with rice and the kids love it. So it sure is a winner for me.!!
KERALA CHICKEN FRY
- Chicken drumsticks – 1 packet about 12 pieces
- Red Chili powder – 3/4 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 Tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 Tbsp
- Star Anise – 2
- Coriander leaves – a bunch
- Red onion – 1 chopped
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Ginger – 1 large piece
- Light soy sauce – 4 tsp
- Salt – as needed.
- Wash and clean the drumsticks well. Pat dry and keep aside.
- Grind the remaining ingredients to a paste. Add water if needed to make a smooth paste.
- Marinate the chicken drumsticks in the marinade and keep in the fridge for at least 2 hours. I usually marinate the chicken and keep it in small pouches, each pouch corresponding to one portion size.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Deep or shallow fry the chicken pieces till brown all over.
- I fry the chicken differently. I heat the oil in a pan and put arrange the chicken pieces in the oil. I close the pan with a lid and let the chicken brown and cook in its steam for about 6 minutes on each side. This method ensures that the chicken is well cooked through and also stays moist on the inside and crisp on the outside.
- Serve with some pickled onions, sliced cucumbers and carrots on the side.