Steaming hot rice with spicy fish fry, cheera thoran and moru kachiyathu …. yum yum..!!
Summer has started full force in Bahrain. The heat is burning and schools have asked children to stay indoors during recess. Ice cream and cold drink sales have soared and watermelons have found a permanent spot in the fruit baskets. However what has been affected is the sales of fish. This is the period where the availability of fish has slightly decreased. Most of the fish that come to the market are from the neighboring countries. When we do manage to get a decent set of good fish, we try to make the most of it. My son loves fish . he would be happy if he was served only fish three times a day. This recipe is his favorite one for a delicious fish fry.
KERALA FISH FRY
- Firm Fish of choice – 4 to 5 pieces
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp heaped
- Pepper powder – 1/2 Tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Oil to fry
- Make a paste out of all the ingredients except fish and curry leaves. Check salt. Add more if needed.
- Marinate the fish with the above paste well.
- Mix in the curry leaves and leave to marinate for an hour or two.
- If not using immediately, cover and store in the refrigerator if using within a day or in the freezer if using after more days.
- Defrost when needed and pan fry in hot oil on a medium flame till brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Serve hot with rice and other curries.