Fresh, colorful berries enclosed in a delicate flavored jelly – an easy, delectable dessert for adults and kids.
Well, this is a dessert for those times when berries are in plenty, your kid is fussing and he will not have his fruits or for those times when you need some heart friendly berries in your diet and you want some light and fresh dessert. You get the picture. This is a light, fruity, colorful, delicious and very easy to prepare dessert. Serve it with some ice cream or some whipped cream and your dessert is done. This is also a wonderful dessert to prepare with your kids. It does not involve any cooking, so you can trust them with the preparation.
I have given two versions of preparing this dessert, one super simple one for kids and another one for adults. To make the kids version more special, try adding a few hard candies in between the fruits. They will love to find a candy hidden in their dessert and you will surely get their best smile. But make sure that the kids are old enough to find the candy, and that they chew properly. Avoid candies for small kids as they will be in a hurry and gulp down their dessert.
MIXED BERRY TERRINE FOR KIDS
- 2 Packets Strawberry/ Raspberry flavored Jello
- 5 cups Mixed berries – strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries
- 1 peach diced small
- Make the Jello as per the manufacturers instructions on the packet.
- Wash and dry the berries. Hull the strawberries and slice them.
- Take a loaf pan and arrange the fruits in it. The fruits at the bottom are the ones that come on top when inverted , so arrange decoratively.
- Pour the Jello over the fruits till almost covered.
- Chill in the refrigerator till set.
- When you are ready to serve , place the pan in hot water for 5 seconds. Invert the jelly onto a plate, slice and serve as it is or with ice cream or Cool Whip.
MIXED BERRY TERRINE (Adult Version)
- 425 ml Sparkling Rose Wine / White Grape juice
- 50 gm Caster Sugar
- 2 x 11 gm sachets Gelatin
- 1 Tbsp fresh Lemon Juice
- 6 cups Mixed Berries – strawberries, raspberries, black berries, blueberries
- 1 peach
- 2 Loaf pans
- Let us prepare the fruit first. Wash and dry the fruits. Hull and slice the strawberries.
- Mix the fruits up gently without bruising them.
- In a saucepan combine 1/2 the rose wine or grape juice till it comes to a simmer.
- Add the sugar and stir till it has melted.
- Add the gelatin and stir till it has combined well and dissolved completely.
- Add the remaining wine/ juice and the lemon juice, combine and keep aside to cool.
- Arrange the fruit pieces in the loaf pan. The fruits at the base will be what is visible when you invert the terrine, so arrange decoratively.
- Add 300 ml of the liquid mixture onto the fruits. Place a cling film over it and place the other tin over it. Add some weight to the second pan. This process is called weighing down. You can skip this stage and pour all the liquid in and chill it, however this process helps the slicing part later.
- Place this is the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour. Once this has set remove from the fridge and remove the second pan and cling film.
- Heat the remaining mixture slightly till it is clear and all elements have combined. Pour this on top of the set jelly, cover with cling film and allow to set for 6 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, place the loaf pan in some hot water for 5 seconds, invert onto a platter and serve.
- Slice and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.