A quick and easy semi dry chicken roast made from ingredients easily available at home..!!
I am back with yet another Non Vegetarian dish – a simple chicken roast. it is made from the ingredients that are used at home everyday. A dish which is very Keralite in its nature and simplistic in its preparation, this side dish goes well with roti or rice. I have been preparing and posting a lot of chicken dishes here. Well what can I say – Chicken is the ingredient of the month here.
- Chicken Pieces – 1 Kg
- Turmeric Powder – 3/4 tsp
- Chili Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Pepper Powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Fennel Powder – 1 tsp
- Onion – 2
- Ginger – 1 large
- Garlic – 6 big pieces
- Green Chili – 4 as per spice tolerance
- Tomatoes – 2
- Coconut Pieces – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves – handful
- Marinate the chicken with the spices – turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, fennel powder, pepper powder and salt. Keep aside for 2 to 3 hours.
- Grind the onions, green chili, ginger and garlic to a paste. Keep aside.
- Heat a large pan. Add oil to it and when the oil is hot, add the paste and fry till nice and aromatic.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till cooked.
- When the above mix is cooked, add the marinated chicken and fry on a high flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut pieces and mix well.
- Cook covered till the chicken is tender and well cooked.
- Remove the lid and fry the chicken for about 10 minutes more, till the chicken is well coated with the gravy.
- Check for seasonings and add salt and garam masala if necessary.
- Crush the curry leaves between your hands and add to the chicken.
- Give a good stir and serve hot.
This is a very simple dish. It can be prepared very fast within 45 minutes. The chicken pieces can be marinated beforehand and kept in the freezer. Use as required.