A delicious chocolate brownie base, topped with a white chocolate cream and fresh strawberries are a child’s dream come true – Strawberry Cream Pizza ..!
What is your child’s favorite food? Is it fruits and vegetables (quite unlikely), biryanis and pulao (maybe) or chocolates and ice creams (most probably)?? Yeah, I know that frustrated nod of the head all too well. Those who read my blogs are aware of the fact that my son is a color conscious fellow. He likes brown and white in staple foods and almost any color in ice creams and candies. At the same time my daughter loves strawberries and my son hates them. My daughter loves chicken but hates fish, whereas my son loves fish and hates chicken. In the end, I prepare a little something of both their tastes.
To make difficult matters worse the school introduced the concept of healthy eating. They asked for healthy foods to be send to school. I used to fool my son into eating some veggies by baking cakes or incorporating them into noodles etc. The school managed to convince the kids that cakes and noodles are junk food. Hence now I have them saying no to noodles and to any vegetables / fruits served as side. Surprisingly the kids are OK with Nutella, which according to my daughter is healthy because it contains nuts, and jam because it has fruits and Cadbury chocolates because – they have fruit and nuts..!! WOW..! Now that is some logic.
Well, this dessert is an attempt to combine the flavors of a kids palate and combine colors in order to get some fruits (read red) into my son who will otherwise not touch them, satisfy my daughter in her quest for strawberries and also finish of the last crate of strawberries in the house. But the end dessert is decadent, delicious. My hubby who never takes chocolates had a good share of the same. Its yummy, its yummy and its YUMMY..!!
STRAWBERRY ‘N’ CREAM PIZZA
To make the brownie base : Source here
- 65g unsalted butter, chopped
- 65g semi sweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 1/3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 3/4 Tbsp cocoa powder
For topping :
- 1/4 cup thick cream like Amul
- 60 gm White Chocolate
- 8 to 10 Strawberries
- 1 Tbsp Honey / Strawberry jam
- Combine the butter, sugar and the chocolate pieces together in a saucepan over low flame and stir till the chocolate has melted and everything has combined well. Keep aside to cool.
- During this time preheat the oven to 190C . Take a circular cake pan and butter it well. Layer with a parchment paper, butter it again and keep aside.
- Once the chocolate mixture has cooled, combine the beaten egg and the vanilla essence with it and mix well.
- Add the cocoa powder and the flour and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes till skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, turn onto a rack and allow to cool completely.
- To prepare the topping , take a microwave safe bowl and heat the cream in it till hot but not boiling.
- Break the white chocolate into small pieces and stir into the cream . The chocolate will melt with the heat of the cream. Stir till smooth.
- Pour this cream over the cool brownie base. Spread slightly.
- Arrange the cut slices of strawberry over the chocolate cream decoratively.
- Warm the jam or honey till it is runny and lightly brush it onto the fruits. This will keep the color and shine intact.
- Keep refrigerated till needed. Take out 15 minutes before serving.
This is my entry for Kalyani’s Sizzling Tastebuds , her wonderful event called Cook Eat Delicious (Desserts) – Strawberries, where, yup you guessed it right.. strawberries are the stars of the month. This event is the baby of Raven who blogs at Cook.Eat.Delicious.