Quick, easy and delicious blend of onions, tomatoes and spices in one pot – Thattukada chicken curry..!
Thattukadas are a common sight in Kerala. These small shops – mostly undhuvandis(push wagons) and pettikadas spring up about 6 in the evening and they enjoy brisk and booming business. Some of these thattukadas prepare food on the spot in small kerosene stoves and some serve home prepared food on the move. Either ways these shops sell tasty, finger licking tsty food.
This is a chicken recipe that I learnt from my mom in law. It is quite easy to prepare and is in fact a one pot cook. This makes a tasty side to porotta, appams and rice. We make it quite often and this dish is liked by one and all. Another one from my mom in law’s cookbook..!!
THATTUKADA CHICKEN CURRY
- Chicken – 1 Kg
- Onions – 4
- Tomatoes – 2
- Green chilies – 5 or 6
- Garlic- 6 to 8 large cloves
- Ginger – 1 large piece
- Curry leaves – 3 sprigs
- Chili powder – 1/2 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 Tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 Tbsp
- Chicken Masala – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt – as needed
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Clean the chicken slices and pat dry.Now marinate the chicken with 1 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric and some salt. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Take a big mixing bowl.
- Slice the onions finely. Add to the bowl.
- Chop the tomatoes nicely. Add to the bowl.
- Split the green chilies lengthwise, chop the garlic and ginger finely. Add to the bowl.
- Add the curry leaves and 1 tsp salt to the bowl.
- Add all the remaining masala powders to the bowl.
- Using clean hands mix the ingredients together. Do not just lightly mix it in, mix it in like you would knead a dough, pound some steaks or crush leaves between your hands. End of it, the ingredients should be a uniform mass of onions, tomatoes and the rest. Keep aside
- After 15 minutes, when ready to cook, heat a deep bottomed pan. Heat some oil in it and saute the onion mixture. Since all the ingredients are mixed together , this step would need some patience. Keep sauting till the onion mixture has melted into itself, forming a nice aromatic gravy.
- At this stage add the chicken pieces, 1/2 cup water and give a good stir.
- Cook covered on a medium low flame till cooked through.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve.