“When one has tasted watermelon he knows what the angels eat” – Mark Twain
Summer is heating up here in Bahrain. Children sweat it out in schools coming back sweaty and tired looking for something cool to gulp down and replenish their energy, eager to get back to play. Air conditioners are working overtime, often giving way to pressure and ending up in service center for a quick fix. Husbands walk in through the front doors, sweaty, tired and ready to fall. Everyone wants something cool, something nice to drink after a hot sweaty day.
Thus it was a welcome sight to see the watermelon laden pickup trucks, the vendor tapping on the melon to see which one is the best, slicing a piece off the side and the test taste, and the “4 Kg for 1 Bahrain dinar” part too. Customers flock to these vendors, all eager for a share of that bounty. Since these come direct from the farms, they are always fresh and sweet. It is just a matter of slicing and eating.. and getting some of that cool juicy goodness wash down our bodies, refreshing to the last bite. I had some watermelon left over form our last buy, and I thought a shake would be a good idea. The day had been hot, with signs of rain. This shake is quite filling and refreshing. It does not take much time and is best when served cold.
- Watermelon- 3 to 4 cups
- Condensed milk – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Ice cubes to serve
- Remove the seeds off the watermelon. Put it into a blender.
- Add the condensed milk to the watermelon pieces.
- Add the vanilla extract if using it. I think it tastes just as well without it too.
- Blitz it well in the blender till well blended.
- Serve in tall glasses topped with ice cubes.
- You can also freeze some of the juice in the small ice cube makers and add it to the juice next time.